Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Microwave 101

Since today is Wednesday that must mean it is kitchen cleaning day!  I don't know about you but every time I look at my microwave I just want to close the door and turn on the oven instead.  Which is really bad because our apartment can get pretty hot in there.  Well I decided that I had finally had enough of a battle with my microwave.

I have tried Clorox clean up, 401, everything imaginable.  I was sick and tired of buying all these cleaning chemicals when I knew there was a better solution out there.  I remembered a few years ago my mom had gotten a sample of this microwave cleaner that you placed the packet in the microwave and "cooked" it for about 3 minutes.  It would release this steam that would soften the grim on the inside of the microwave.  I loved them.  Do you remember them?  They were by Easy Off.  The package looked like this :


Well I have searched high and low for these clothes and realized that they are no longer available.  (At least in my area.)  I knew that there was a way to recreate them and thanks to Jessi at practically functional I have found a way to do it.  First step is to take a deep breath and realize that this can be done!

The way she showed to do it was to take a glass bowl and fill it with about 1 cup of water and add in a splash of vinegar. Put it in the microwave for 5 minutes to allow the water to create steam.  Then remove the bowl. ( Be careful it will be hot)

That's it!  All it takes to have a beautiful shinny microwave! I did do mine a second time because it had been so long since I last cleaned it.   I was so excited about my microwave that I even used the heated vinegar on the top of my stove.  ( However I didn't get a picture of it)

The Final Results!
Practically Functional

No comments:

Post a Comment